Saturday, January 10, 2009

Rough Trade

Yesterday I wandered into Notting Hill to meet a friend for coffee and took a bit of time to explore the Portobello Road Market. The outdoor street market was full of stands selling your standard market goods: veggies, fish, bread, used books, antique jewelry, or knee-high boots.

After buying a loaf of wholemeal bread, I spotted Rough Trade.

The ground floor was split evenly between vinyl and CDs. In the basement was a huge collection of vinyl that I didn't take the time to properly explore. All of the titles were sorted into some 25+ genres such as, Dubstep, Post Rock, Ed Banger, Warp Skam Rephlex, and others that I had no idea existed. My personal favorite was:

You can also see a bit of the sticker in the bottom of the picture that has a description of the album. Every title in the store has a similar sticker that contains an undecipherable set of obscure band and genre references to either entice or confuse the buyer. In my case, I just picked up the BPB album in the picture and have been enjoying the live versions of some of my old favorites.

No comments: